[lbo-talk] Professor Lisa at Tortilla Flats

Alex zap_path at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 10 13:35:04 PDT 2006

--- joanna wrote:
> I have already described the devolution of folk art into commodified
> mass market art: gospel/jazz/blues into rock for example. One
> consequence of that is that when artists working on a grand scale turn
> to what is now folk art (mass marketed commerical art) for insipiration,
> they do not find very fertile soil. Matisse anchored a high-art corpus
> on Romanian peasant blouses and french textiles; african sculpture
> influenced Giacometti and Brancusi and others; Oriental rugs gave Gaugin
> his palette; the folk music of eastern europe gave Bartok a new harmonic
> vocabulary....but what can a "classical" artist get out of rock and roll?

There's certainly plenty to complain about how rock and roll is produced, but it's a huge genre. I don't see why a "classical" artist would have more difficulty using it than gospel. If there's a problem, I think it may have to do with the attitude of "high" artists.

I once visited a sculpture garden where one piece consisted of a sort of face built by concrete contouring inside a hole in the ground. Thinking it was clever, I read the sign where the artist declared that the piece was intended to mock people who like "popular" art that depicted real things. Message: "You liked this? You're obviously an uncultured naive." Someone who thinks that would certainly avoid any "low" art influences.

-Alex