[lbo-talk] Professor Lisa at Tortilla Flats

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Mon Apr 10 15:31:00 PDT 2006

Alex wrote:

>There's certainly plenty to complain about how rock and roll is produced, but
>it's a huge genre. I don't see why a "classical" artist would have more
>difficulty using it than gospel. If there's a problem, I think it may have to
>do with the attitude of "high" artists.

Yes, I agree, it is a huge genre and there are some awsome things in it, but the attitude of the high artist is only part of the problem. The other part comes from the rate of change under capitalism and the demands of private property. The change is too rapid and copyright makes the kind of stealing/imitation that is the grist of art difficult. It's interesting to look at Rap as a form that is defined by these two forces.

Joanna