[lbo-talk] what's this economic choice theory again?

Grace Loehr divinegracie at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 14 14:37:10 PDT 2006

Hey all, (I forget if this email goes to Kelley or the entire list -- I'd like it to go to the entire list) What's that "new" economic theory I read about in the recent past ... the one that proves that people don't make economic and purchasing choices based on rational choice, but on other, nonrational, emotional factors? I want to mention this in context of discussing women's reproductive rights in the context of having HIV infection for a presentation I have at school. (Which I'm petrified about as I have no public speaking experience)

The "official" CDC recommendation is that HIV infected women NOT have children or breastfeed, and health care providers telling pts this can be devastating and have the opposite effect, esp. with black pts, for whom memory of the Tuskegee Syphilis Study is still alive. White hcp's telling black pts these things are clueless about how their words are heard. There are conspiracy theories and genocide theories abounding in the black community about HIV (the gov't created it to decimate black people; the gov't is withholding treatment from blacks; &c) similar to other conspiracy/genocide theories vis a vis the public health system, health care system, and the black population.

Any suggestions on ethical or other ideas to use with this topic?

Grace