[lbo-talk] what's this economic choice theory again?

Jim Devine jdevine03 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 14 15:59:25 PDT 2006

I think that the "new economic theory" you're talking about is behavioral/experimental economics, which shows that people often do not act following standard economic rationality. Econ. sez if you receive a coffee mug worth $10 on the market, you'll value it at $10. But experiments show that most people would rather receive the mug than the $10. That is, once you've gotten the mug, you require more that $10 in payment for it, even though it costs only $10 to buy one for yourself.

from the Wikipedia entry on "behavioral finance":
>There are three main themes in behavioral finance and economics
(Shefrin, 2002):

* Heuristics: People often make decisions based on approximate rules of thumb, not strictly rational analyses. See also cognitive biases and bounded rationality.

* Framing: The way a problem or decision is presented to the decision maker will affect their action.

* Market inefficiencies: There are explanations for observed market outcomes that are contrary to rational expectations and market efficiency. These include mispricings, non-rational decision making, and return anomalies. Richard Thaler, in particular, has written a long series of papers describing specific market anomalies from a behavioral perspective.

>Market wide anomalies can not generally be explained by individuals
suffering from cognitive biases, as individual biases often do not have a large enough effect to change market prices and returns. In addition, individual biases could potentially cancel each other out. Cognitive biases have real anomalous effects only if there is a social contamination with a strong emotional content (collective greed or fear), leading to more widespread phenomena such as herding and groupthink. Behavioral finance and economics rests as much on social psychology as on individual psychology.

>There are two exceptions to this general statement. First, it might
be the case that enough individuals exhibit biased (ie. different from rational expectations) behavior that such behavior is the norm and this behavior would, then, have market wide effects. Further, some behavioral models explicitly demonstrate that a small but significant anomalous group can have market-wide effects (eg. Fehr and Schmidt, 1999).<

There's also Herbert Simon's idea of bounded rationality, which says that people can't always calculate what something is worth (or what it costs) to them.

I don't know how this can help.