[lbo-talk] Oil & Russia

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 15 07:38:21 PDT 2006

Jim Devine jdevine03 at gmail.com on Tue Apr 4 10:59:45 PDT 2006 wrote:

could it be that unlike those other countries, Russia was considered to be an economic basketcase just a few years ago, after the collapse of the USSR?

---

You know, these things kind of sneak up on you gradually so you don't notice the overall scale of the change when you're emersed in it. But I was impressively reminded today of just how enormous the gap is behind the Russian economy in 2000 and today. The wife of my coworker's is a medical assistant at a Moscow public hospital. In 2000, the average monthly wage of doctors in her hospital was about $80.

Today, it is $1,200...

Nu, zayats, pogodi!