[lbo-talk] economy tanking?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Apr 15 09:36:36 PDT 2006

info at pulpculture.org wrote:

>Doug and others: Is the economy looking like it's going to tank or
>something? We're getting this huge influx of job inquiries to the
>Web site. Very strange for people to be so desperate as to try to
>get work with a dinky freelancing biz.

Few signs of it really. The leading indexes are looking ok, portending pretty much the same thing we have now, which is ok but not spectacular growth. The housing market has almost certainly peaked, and that may be bumming some people out, but it's yet to have any broader drag. It may, and so may 15 (or is it 16?) consecutive rate hikes by the Fed, but not yet. The unemployment rate is the lowest, and the capacity utilization rate the highest, they've been in 5 or 6 years.

Doug