[lbo-talk] [Fwd: [bluegreenearth] Fan Who Called Dylan 'Judas' Breaks 33 Years OfSilence]

Wojtek Sokolowski wsokol52 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 16 07:00:46 PDT 2006

--- joanna <123hop at comcast.net> wrote:

> I think Judas was short for traitor, and Dylan was
> seen as a traitor to
> his folk roots by many. I recently saw Scorsese's
> docu on Dylan "No
> Direction Home," which I highly recommend. The film
> basically supports
> the traitor thesis.

What does the concept of "traitor" mean in connection with music? Is it some sort of fundamentalist religion or fascist cult demanding absolute loyalty, or what?

I am not a musician or a music expert, but some of the best stuff I've heard are "musical mongrels" - musicians deliberately going outside the box of a genre, and mixing it with other genres.

Correct me if I am wrong, but this notion of "musical loyalty" is manly the US phenomenon, grown out of the incredible infestation of the US consciousness with religiosity. My limited understanding of, say, African music is that these guys have no qualms in borrowing any stuff that fits them and transforming it to local tastes.

PS. The above does NOT mean that US musicians tend to be genre-dogmatic, but that the cultural perceptions of musical genres has a clearly visible strain of religious dogmatism, also manifested in other areas of culture and public discourse .

Wojtek