[lbo-talk] [Fwd: [bluegreenearth] Fan Who Called Dylan 'Judas' Breaks 33 Years OfSilence]

Jerry Monaco monacojerry at gmail.com
Sun Apr 16 07:12:43 PDT 2006

On 4/16/06, Wojtek Sokolowski <wsokol52 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Correct me if I am wrong, but this notion of "musical
> loyalty" is manly the US phenomenon, grown out of the
> incredible infestation of the US consciousness with
> religiosity. My limited understanding of, say,
> African music is that these guys have no qualms in
> borrowing any stuff that fits them and transforming it
> to local tastes.

What about the shock to Stravinsky's "Rite of Spring?" or the idea that a musician is a "sell-out" if s/he is too commercial? The accusation of sell-out is usually leveled at a person in a commercial culture when s/he has "abadoned" a niche audience for a large scale audience. The shock of the new is largely a reaction of middle class audiences against the so called "avant garde." The reaction, the sense of betrayal is essentially the same.

-- Jerry Monaco's Philosophy, Politics, Culture Weblog is Shandean Postscripts to Politics, Philosophy, and Culture http://monacojerry.livejournal.com/

His fiction, poetry, weblog is Hopeful Monsters: Fiction, Poetry, Memories http://www.livejournal.com/users/jerrymonaco/

Notes, Quotes, Images - From some of my reading and browsing http://www.livejournal.com/community/jerry_quotes/ -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20060416/d261c940/attachment.htm>