[lbo-talk] The Gospel of Judas - Wrong Version?

Jim Devine jdevine03 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 17 09:51:59 PDT 2006

the secular Jewish group I belong to in Los Angeles ("Sholem") is pretty much the same as you describe. Even though my background isn't Jewish, it's not hard to make the transition from secular Protestantism (i.e., Unitarianism) to secular Jewishness. (NB: it's not "Judaism.")

we joined Sholem for our son Guthrie. A couple of years ago, he had a secular Bar Mitzvah about the various religions he believes in (Ancient Egyptian, Ancient Greek, Viking, Wicca, Secular Jewishness). No Torah, no Hebrew. It went well. The people in the community -- specifically Hershl Hartmann -- helped him deal with his Asperger Syndrome (borderline autism) and learning disabilities (which later turned out to be strongly encouraged by his meds). It was a good event, held at the House of Blues in Hollywood (and the HoB did all the grunt work, for a price).

On 4/17/06, Marta Russell <ap888 at lafn.org> wrote:
> I go to the one in Studio City in LA> The reason is mainly because they are
> free of dogma and they are some very decent people to have as an extended
> family. This is impossible to find in LA in any other form.
> Marta

-- Jim Devine / "Jim Devine / "There can be no real individual freedom in the presence of economic insecurity." -- Chester Bowles