[lbo-talk] Dean Baker on immigration

ravi gadfly at exitleft.org
Mon Apr 17 11:11:25 PDT 2006

At around 17/4/06 1:52 pm, Marta Russell wrote:
> On Apr 17, 2006, at 10:27 AM, Doug Henwood wrote:
>> Marta Russell wrote:
>>
>>> The moral ground I see is that so many who come here wind up
>>> getting on government benefits.
>>
>> Actually they don't.
>
> Not in my neighborhood. They are middle age people. "On balance in
> contributing to the fisc" doesn't really mean anything to me. I see
> the consequences of an overburdened system all around here. The
> emergency rooms are overrun with non english speaking legals or
> illegals. The public health care system is shutting down in LA.
> Emergency rooms are closing. What emergency rooms remain open
> require 12 hour+ waits to see a doctor. My disabled friends suffer
> because there are so many people on MediCal that they have cut doctor
> pay down to next to nothing and they don't get decent service. Its a
> bottom of the barrel thing.

[If I am reading you right] I guess we don't need Rovean cunning to divide and be conquered.

Here's a piece on another one in the hierarchy of oppressions:

http://www.thenation.com/blogs/notion?pid=75073 [Richard Kim]

=> If you want to see the pathologies plaguing the gay marriage movement => in action, you need look no farther than this article penned by => Jasmyne Cannick. Titled "Gays First, Then Illegals," Cannick's => editorial spews the kind of xenophobic rhetoric now rarely heard => outside of right-wing radio and white nativist circles -- unless, of => course, it's coming from the mainstream gay press. Pitting gay rights => against immigrants' rights, Cannick -- former "People of Color Media => Manager for GLAAD" -- considers it a "slap in the face to lesbian, => gay, bisexual, and transgender people" for Congress to debate => immigration reform when same-sex marriage remains unrecognized. For => your pleasure or fury, here are some of her greatest hits: => => "Immigration reform needs to get in line behind the LGBT civil rights => movement, which has not yet realized all of its goals. Which is not => to say that I don't recognize the plight of illegal immigrants. I do. => But I didn't break the law to come into this country. This country => broke the law by not recognizing and bestowing upon me my full rights => as a citizen."

Marta:

> I don't care what the national stats say. What is happening on the
> ground here is real.

In other words, the plural of anecdote is data?

--ravi