[lbo-talk] Dean Baker on immigration

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Mon Apr 17 13:56:04 PDT 2006

On Apr 17, 2006, at 11:11 AM, ravi wrote:

> Here's a piece on another one in the hierarchy of oppressions:
>
> http://www.thenation.com/blogs/notion?pid=75073
> [Richard Kim]
>
> =>
> => "Immigration reform needs to get in line behind the LGBT civil
> rights
> => movement, which has not yet realized all of its goals. Which is not
> => to say that I don't recognize the plight of illegal immigrants.
> I do.
> => But I didn't break the law to come into this country. This country
> => broke the law by not recognizing and bestowing upon me my full
> rights
> => as a citizen."
>

> Marta:
>

>> I don't care what the national stats say. What is happening on the
>> ground here is real.
>>

> In other words, the plural of anecdote is data?
>
> --ravi

Watch the "anecdote" grow. It seems fairly predictable to me. I understand the plight of illegal immigrants which the focus seems to be primarily on hispanics. But it seems to me that Mexico needs to solve their problem. Vicente Fox has done nothing to help his people economically survive.

There is also a case to made, as I have made against corporations that outsource jobs, and a government that allows this - that the 70% unemployment rate amongst disabled persons needs to be addressed as to who gets jobs here too. When the market is flooded with immigrants looking for work that doesn't help disabled people who are unemployed who continue to rate the least desirable to employ for a variety of reasons, including problems with having an employer based health care system that doesn't want to absorb higher premiums or liability for having disabled people on the premises.

Yes there is a "whole pie" problem but meanwhile what exists is not working for excluded groups either. Should we disabled people say to the government go ahead and let ablism reign? Let those able bodied immigrants have the jobs cause they are a whole lot less trouble than dealing with a deaf, blind or otherwise disabled employee????

Marta