[lbo-talk] Dean Baker on immigration

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Apr 17 13:58:26 PDT 2006

Marta Russell wrote:

>When people start seeing the state spending tens of thousands of
>dollars printing every Medi-Cal notice in 21 different languages,
>even the most left in the disability community are alarmed by what
>this portends. One person I know who has spent her life dedicated
>to homeless and legal services said, I get this notice from MediCal
>in all these languages and I can't even get my teeth fixed. So
>there is certainly a clash. And how would you feel if you couldn't
>get your teeth fixed because the system is loaded down so much that
>they cut dental benefits?

Marta, I'm shocked to hear you talking like this. Why pit sick immigrants against disabled people? We've got a deeply fucked up health care system in the US. That's the problem.

And what's wrong with 21 languages? I think the diversity of big American cities is wonderful. It's sad that the diversity comes with so much poverty, but we don't have to make it worse by seeing it as a waste of resources.

Doug