[lbo-talk] Dean Baker on immigration

Wendy Lyon wendy.lyon at gmail.com
Mon Apr 17 18:13:16 PDT 2006

On 4/17/06, Marta Russell <ap888 at lafn.org> wrote:

> There is a distinction between legal and illegal immigrants. One
> group has gone through the process to become a citizen. If you don't
> recognize that distinction, then how can you recognize citizenship?
> How do you organize a government?
>
> Citizenship implies just that, a person is recognized by the state to
> certain obligations and benefits of being a citizen.

There is a difference between an immigrant and a citizen. Many immigrants - including legal immigrants - are not citizens nor have any intention of becoming citizens. And of course most citizens are not immigrants, although most of us are descended from immigrants and I would imagine that a large percentage of us have at least one ancestor who immigrated illegally.

> I don't like it. That
> is my personal feeling and I am entitled to it.

Of course you are but don't pretend it isn't xenophobia. By the way, you live in LA, right? By your own logic shouldn't you be speaking Spanish, if not one of the Native American languages of the Southwest region?