[lbo-talk] Dean Baker on immigration

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Tue Apr 18 09:13:19 PDT 2006

On Apr 17, 2006, at 6:13 PM, Wendy Lyon wrote:

>> I don't like it. That
>> is my personal feeling and I am entitled to it.
>>

> Of course you are but don't pretend it isn't xenophobia. By the way,
> you live in LA, right? By your own logic shouldn't you be speaking
> Spanish, if not one of the Native American languages of the Southwest
> region?

Xenophobia is a fear or contempt for strangers. I do not have any fear or contempt for the immigrants that live around me. I want to be able to communicate with them. English is the dominate language in California. So if you think everyone should be speaking Spanish or a Native American language that is simply nuts. Go ask the Russians and Persians to learn to speak Spanish or a Native American language. They will look at you like you are crazy.

Marta