[lbo-talk] Dean Baker on immigration

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 18 01:45:24 PDT 2006

Ambrose Bierce defined a border as "the imaginary line that separates the imaginary rights of one people from the imaginary rights of another." But Marx also said that if enough people believe enough "imaginary" things, it becomes a real, material force in the world that has to be dealt with in the here and now.

Having said that, I'm also on the "fuck the border" side of this fence, and though hearing statistics can be cold comfort to working class folks (i.e. hearing about how gas prices aren't all that bad when I live in an urban sprawl hell that really does demand I have a car, and it does feel like my blood is being drained from my body when I gas up my infernally necessary car, etc.) I do think the immigration protests are on the right side of history, and that it's our duty to support them. Fuck the border.

-B.

Mike Ballard wrote:

"How can a government remain a national entity?"

Doug Henwood wrote:

"What is so wonderful about retaining a national identity? Really?"