[lbo-talk] Dean Baker on immigration

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Tue Apr 18 10:16:51 PDT 2006

On Apr 17, 2006, at 11:12 PM, Miles Jackson wrote:

> Man, I gotta agree with Doug about this. I respect all the
> political work and consciousness-raising that Marta has done, but
> like Marta's take on the Schiavo mess, file this under "fucked up".

Yeah Miles what have you done lately to make sure that people on Medicaid get the medical care that they need? I don't see any of you DOING anything to fix things then you whine when a disabled person resents that they can no longer get the dental care they need RIGHT NOW not tomorrow, not some place in the future, man, RIGHT NOW.

I told a friend of mine about this thread exchange last night who is a leftie and she asked where are their brains. Can't they see what is happening here? They are crazy if they don't see the overcrowding and the numbers of illegals who rely upon social services in Southern CA she said.

The keener view IMHO is that this overcrowding is desirable to the ruling elite because it will run the programs into the ground and it will cleanse the population of the most ill i.e., most costly.

Arnold took away the cost of living increase of $24 from people on SSI in California. These are people living on about $800 a month. Could any of you do that? COULD ANY OF YOU DO THAT? Do you ever do a damn thing about it? Now people must pay co-pays for medicines they did not have to pay before. I have another friend who had NO MONEY FOR FOOD this month because he had to pay for some medication for an abscessed infection in his leg. He lives on SSI. MediCal doctors are getting something like $14 a visit. The abscess was largely due to improper care from his MediCal doc. Do you think anyone gets adequate care for that? I could go on and on . . . but what is the use of it.

Marta