[lbo-talk] Dean Baker on immigration

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Tue Apr 18 10:49:24 PDT 2006

Marta Russell wrote:

> Arnold took away the cost of living increase of $24 from people on
> SSI in California. These are people living on about $800 a month.
> Could any of you do that? COULD ANY OF YOU DO THAT? Do you ever do
> a damn thing about it? Now people must pay co-pays for medicines
> they did not have to pay before. I have another friend who had NO
> MONEY FOR FOOD this month because he had to pay for some medication
> for an abscessed infection in his leg. He lives on SSI. MediCal
> doctors are getting something like $14 a visit. The abscess was
> largely due to improper care from his MediCal doc. Do you think
> anyone gets adequate care for that? I could go on and on . . . but
> what is the use of it.
>
> Marta

Marta,

I think the point many of us are trying to make (some more tactfully than others) are that the problems you point out about SSI and health care have little or nothing to do with immigration. Yes, they are serious problems, and yes, we should solve them. However, even with the harshest immigration policies--boot 'em all out, no social services--all the problems you identify will persist for disabled people in our society. The immigrants aren't the problem. It's strange to me that you're using them as a scapegoat.

Miles