[lbo-talk] Dean Baker on immigration

John Costello joxn.costello at gmail.com
Tue Apr 18 11:12:12 PDT 2006

On 4/18/06, Marta Russell <ap888 at lafn.org> wrote:

> With tens of thousands of illegals flooding the country we don't
> stand a chance at getting our unemployment rate to improve. That is
> just reality. I am looking for justice for disabled people. It
> hasn't come.

I know that the term "disabled" covers a lot of different disabilities, not just physical disabilities, but nevertheless I have to wonder if undocumented workers and disabled people are competing for the same jobs. In Arizona at least, undocumented workers are largely doing gross physical labor -- construction work and other day labor, agricultural field work, sanitation and housekeeping jobs.

I googled around but didn't hit the right combination of search terms to give statistics on jobs undocumented workers do. Maybe someone with more familiarity with the data can provide some pointers to actual numbers?

-- John S Costello joxn.costello at gmail.com "[O]nce the running of the state involves a permanent and massive shortage of historical knowledge, that state can no longer be run strategically." -- Guy Debord -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20060418/52888df8/attachment.htm>