[lbo-talk] Dean Baker on immigration

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Tue Apr 18 11:35:27 PDT 2006

On Apr 18, 2006, at 11:12 AM, John Costello wrote:

> On 4/18/06, Marta Russell <ap888 at lafn.org> wrote:
>
> With tens of thousands of illegals flooding the country we don't
> stand a chance at getting our unemployment rate to improve. That is
> just reality. I am looking for justice for disabled people. It
> hasn't come.
>
> I know that the term "disabled" covers a lot of different
> disabilities, not just physical disabilities, but nevertheless I
> have to wonder if undocumented workers and disabled people are
> competing for the same jobs. In Arizona at least, undocumented
> workers are largely doing gross physical labor -- construction work
> and other day labor, agricultural field work, sanitation and
> housekeeping jobs.

Blind and deaf persons who are "able bodied" except for a sensory impairment might compete in some areas - agricultural field work, day labor, construction jobs, and house cleaning are not beyond their capabilities. Developmentally disabled people certainly compete for easy fast food jobs at McDonalds or grocery and other store stocking jobs, things that are routine and don't require decision making skills. Many are capable of doing sanitation and janitorial work as well.

Many illegals get fake Social Security cards so that they can get most any kind of job or they use a friend's SS#. I have seen that happen before where people work as in home support services workers (attending to disabled persons daily task needs).

I am way over limit so I am going to sign out for today.

Marta