[lbo-talk] Immigration and Retirement

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Tue Apr 18 12:57:42 PDT 2006

Wendy wrote: <blockquote>
> Yes, the laws should be changed, in keeping with changed reality of
> global migration, where workers might grow up in one country, work
> some in another country, work some more in yet another country, and
> retire at home or in yet another country. There ought to be
> multilateral agreements that allow workers either to transfer credits
> (for having paid into pension and health care systems) to the systems
> of their countries of residence or draw upon multiple countries'
> systems.

There are such agreements. They're called "totalization agreements", I think. Obviously they have to be established on a country-by-country basis and I'm not sure how many countries the US has them with. </blockquote>

Yes, but only a handful of countries -- mostly European countries except Chile and South Korea -- have agreements with the US: <http://www.ssa.gov/pressoffice/factsheets/USandMexico.htm> (I'm assuming that the list here is up-to-date).

What if you were born in Lebanon, worked in France, the US, and Argentina, and retired in Mexico (or something like that)?

-- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>