[lbo-talk] American Prospect Online - Dwight Macdonald

Michael Hoover hooverm at scc-fl.edu
Wed Apr 19 10:23:52 PDT 2006

>>> cbcox at ilstu.edu 04/18/06 5:06 PM >>>
I guess we're getting into trivia now, but I'm always delighted to find someone who shares my immense antipathy to John F. Kennedy and all his works. That is one of the reasons conspiracy theories on his assassination are so regressive: they obscure (even deny) his total commitment to whatever horrors were necessssary or useful for the prosecution of the Cold War. His inaugural address should be seen as a declaration of all-out war on the Asia, Africa, and Latin America. Johnson indeed was a war criminal and a shit in many ways, but if we were going to play around with lesser evils, LBJ was certainly the lesser evil of the two. Carrol <<<<<>>>>>

ah come on, among other things, all jfk did was invade cuba, oversee dramatic military spending increase, initiate counter-insurgency in third world, send troops, er, advisers, to vietnam, play nuclear brinksmanship, impose wage controls on unions, oppose 35 hr work week, refuse to take action in support of civil rights, look the other way when civil rights workers were attacked...

that he pursued pro-corporate fiscal policies was a given, believe it was bruce miroff in _pragmatic illusions_ who called u.s. prez 'chief stabilizer'... mh