[lbo-talk] Re: Dean Baker on immigration

BklynMagus magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Wed Apr 19 15:01:38 PDT 2006

Dear List:

> The same setback happened to women and gay men and lesbians after

World War II -- the setback that was due more to McCarthyism than to the return of able-bodied "straight" men

&

> No it had more to do with the idea that MEN support the family and
therefore should have the jobs. That, however, did not apply to disabled men.

Check out THE LAVENDER SCARE by David K. Johnson just released in paperback for the 411.

> "Can make jobs" and will do are two different things. You know that
full employment isn't a goal in this country.

And that to my mind is the real enemy, and not undocumented workers. We need to fight the mentality that there should always be a pool of unemployed workers on which to draw so that the economy remains strong.

> You will not find coverage of disability rights by leftist publications all
through out the times of our struggle, yet you are all willing to jump up and shout for the rights of illegal immigrants.

> “When patients come in the emergency department we do not know
or ask if they are documented, we are obligated to deliver care regardless of their status.

But shouldn't the cry be for medical care for anyone who walks through the door? Period. End of demand. Immigrants are not overburdeneding the system -- a lack of funding and investment is crippling it.

> “the impending Medicaid disaster is not a problem the states can handle
alone; their budget shortfalls are too big.”

And the question is: how do you handle a shortfall? Limit those who get services or increase the funding? I like second option.

> Illegal alien mothers accounted for 36 percent of all Medi-Cal funded
births in California that year.

And MediCal should pay for ALL births so no mother has to worry.

> There’s a slice of American life circa 2003: veterans wait while illegal
aliens go to the head of the line and Bush has cut Veterans benefits again, I believe since then.

Right, Bush did cut benefits, but the money he cut did not go to services for immigrants. it went to relieve the tax burden of the wealthy.

> This "squatter" enjoys all of the freedoms that the veteran has fought
for with none of the pain, suffering, or expenses associated with them

Brilliant triangulation on the elite's part. Gets the veteran's mad at the immigrants instead of the country they fought for.

> So the veterans also are "xenophobes" some of you would probably
say.

If they do not see through the elite's smoke and mirrors, they end up espousing xenophobic beliefs.

As always, I recommend applying Occam's Razor -- the simplest answer to the problem is the best: increase funding to services. The more convoluted approach of pitting various groups against one another achieves nothing.

Brian Dauth Queer Buddhist Resister