[lbo-talk] Re: Dean Baker on immigration

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Wed Apr 19 15:51:51 PDT 2006

On Apr 19, 2006, at 3:01 PM, BklynMagus wrote:

> As always, I recommend applying Occam's Razor -- the simplest answer
> to the problem is the best: increase funding to services. The more
> convoluted approach of pitting various groups against one another
> achieves
> nothing.

That is obviously the answer but it isn't happening, in fact the opposite is happening.

There are some on this list who may think that the fact that things are getting so bad is good because maybe a revolution will happen.

I see the day to day suffering of people. I get dozens and dozens of emails about the hardships and crisis our people are in. Those I know in the disability activism circles as well as myself have been fighting hard every single day to prevent the cuts to Medicaid. There are a few groups who get it too and are on board, but not nearly enough.

So, if the answer is to increase the funding - which would be to go way beyond just stopping the cuts -- why isn't everyone on this list doing something about that instead of allowing people to go without? I.e. why don't people put their actions where their mouths are? Hopeless? not possible in these political times? Dems are spineless? You know what the excuses will be. Whatever.

It is human nature to want to protect oneself from harm. I feel like I'm being punished on this list for giving a damn that disabled people including myself are losing their health care -- our only means of health care I should say since we aren't insurable by private ins. corps.

The reality on the ground is that people are being pitted against one another because they want to survive. So do something about it.

Marta