[lbo-talk] Dean Baker on immigration

info at pulpculture.org info at pulpculture.org
Wed Apr 19 23:55:57 PDT 2006

While I agree with Carl, I think the problem is that no one's listening to what really undergirds Marta's ire: the fact the Left doesn't give a rat's ass about disability issues but will get up in arms about immigration.

what more one could say on this is a simple acknowledgement of that fact. She's right.

Like John Thronton, I don't look at my situation of not having seen a doctor for 18 years and say, Fuck the immigrants who get treated and not me. Because of the situations I've been in, I'm sympathetic to the plight of anyone who's fucked over. I'm one of the people being fucked over and so are a lot of people on the list. So no, I can't say I support ridiculous measures that attack a problem that might about to what? 5% of the budget if I highball the estimate? (I don't know, someone will have to correct me on the numbers.)

Still, maybe one way to address this acknowledge what really pissing off Marta -- and I don't blame her.

I do what I can to raise the issues on the blog by including it in discussons of, say, oppression and using the examples -- rather than something else.

I don't know what else we -- little people -- can do to make 'the left' give a crap about disability issues. Unfortunately, we have limited time and energy. And, like Carl says, "feeling sad" about one another's behavior amounts to diddly suqat. But, so too, does wagging one's finger and saying, "You dumb ass, you're doing what "they" (capital) wants."

Well, duh? Only if fantasize that you're outside ideology do you ever fantasize that you aren't reproducing the system every time you inhale.

Bitch | Lab http://blog.pulpculture.org