[lbo-talk] Dean Baker on immigration

ravi gadfly at exitleft.org
Thu Apr 20 07:44:07 PDT 2006

At around 20/4/06 5:43 am, Jim Farmelant wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 02:55:57 -0400 info at pulpculture.org writes:
>> While I agree with Carl, I think the problem is that no one's
>> listening to
>> what really undergirds Marta's ire: the fact the Left doesn't give a
>> rat's
>> ass about disability issues but will get up in arms about
>> immigration.
>
> Well, if the truth be told, the Left's record on immigration issues
> is not a whole lot better than its record on disability records.

Something I was going to ask about, myself. What is behind this notion that the U.S Left is behind immigration in any way? Unions, AFAIK, have (until recently) opposed immigration. The other types of left: environmentalists, etc, barely managed to keep Sierra Club from turning into an anti-immigration group, recently. Is there a record of US Left activism in support of immigration? I would like to see it (not saying that sarcastically).

As John Thornton pointed out, each group carries its own sets of issues. Immigrants face trouble entering, staying and gaining residency, acceptance, etc. They are taxed without representation (including permanent residents) and therefore lack even the ability to express their concerns through the democratic process.

--ravi