[lbo-talk] Dean Baker on immigration

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Apr 20 06:51:53 PDT 2006

Jim Farmelant wrote:

>Well, if the truth be told, the Left's record on immigration issues
>is not a whole lot better than its record on disability records.
>The only reason the Left has been getting up in arms about
>immigration lately is because of the emergence of the recent
>emergence of the immigrants' movement, a movement which
>seems to have gotten underway, largely without the help of
>the Left.

Isn't that the truth. The record of organized labor in the U.S. on immigrants has, until very recently, been dismal; anti-Chinese agitation was one of the foundational moments for the union movement, and Gompers never missed a chance to fulminate about the Yellow Peril.

And I agree that the left, such as it is, has been disgracefully AWOL on disability issues. But I don't see how alleging some parasitical or diversionary role for immigrants will change that state of affairs.

info at pulpculture.org wrote:

>But, so too, does wagging one's finger and saying, "You dumb ass,
>you're doing what "they" (capital) wants."
>
>Well, duh? Only if fantasize that you're outside ideology do you
>ever fantasize that you aren't reproducing the system every time you
>inhale.

C'mon, that's a little too fatalistic. Opposition and change never happen? There may be - no, there is - nothing outside ideology, but the dominant ideology can't contain everything. There are counter-ideologies too, no?

Doug