[lbo-talk] Dean Baker on immigration

ravi gadfly at exitleft.org
Thu Apr 20 08:17:30 PDT 2006

At around 20/4/06 9:25 am, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> Well, solidarity is a *two-way street.* The position that immigrants
> "take jobs" from Americans, immigrants cost American taxpayers too
> much, immigrants bring scary diseases to America, countries that send
> immigrants to America should pay their medical costs to it, immigrants
> ought to all speak English as soon as they get here, etc. gets NO
> support from me. Such a position has NO place in the left, REGARDLESS
> of the reason why a person comes to such a position.

I don't want to get preachy here (especially since Marta and others here probably have done a lot more, in concrete terms, for marginalized groups than I ever will), but this is the thing that puzzles me about Western leftism: at some point morality seems to have become unfashionable, got taken out, and replaced with identity politics; and solidarity with scratching of backs. If the Left, IMHO, was defined by an outlook (moral, ethical), its members could NOT, by the very nature of that outlook, reach a position such as Yoshie states above.

If disabled people ask Marta "What has the Left done for us?", as do immigrants, black people, gay people, and women, what is left of this Left? A bunch of us enlightenment bourgeoisie pontificating on mailing lists? (and according to Carrol, that makes us the enemy of the Left ;-)).

--ravi