[lbo-talk] Dean Baker on immigration

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Thu Apr 20 09:35:58 PDT 2006

Doug:
> I dunno, but when someone launches into a sustained attack on
> immigrants as parasites and germ warfare delivery systems,
> that's not the first thing that comes to mind. It would have
> been a lot more constructive if Marta had said something
> like, "It's great to see the immigrant mobilization and the
> solidarity it's earned from others - could we see the same
> for another marginalized group, people with disabilities?"
> And I would have said, and I'm sure I'm not the only one,
> you're absolutely right.

What is so strange about it? People often dig in their heels when they say something they did not really mean, just to vent their frustrations or because they did not think it through, and then they are accused by other of being a bad person - so they become more and more defensive. My ex had that disposition, so I am kind of used to it.

I do not really think that a closet bigot or fascist would lurk on this list trying to disguise him/her-self as a radical. People have genuine grivenaces, perhaps not always expressed in a way we want to hear them, but real. Beating them over their heads with crutches of ideology, religion or dogma will have little effect on the reality these people see.

Wojtek