[lbo-talk] Dean Baker on immigration

ravi gadfly at exitleft.org
Thu Apr 20 11:10:07 PDT 2006

Well, I don't know if anyone brought up feminism in the last 6 months. I haven't been on LBO during that period. But wait a second: where do you see me saying that feminist discussion is present or absent? You wrote:

>> The analogy is, of course, the fact that, as Carrol once noted long ago,
>> raising feminist issues in a male-dominated space like LBO is a total
>> joke. I'd find the quote, but I'm too lazy.

And I responded:

> Why is that? After all Feminist and male are not mutually exclusive
> circles. I am a feminist (or at least so I believe) and I think I would
> get as fair a hearing on feminist issues on LBO as I would for the other
> 'ists' that I am (and their issues). What am I missing?

The "What am I missing?" was meant to ask, what am I missing in my logic/reasoning.

Are you saying that: a) feminist discussion has been missing on LBO. b) I have failed to notice that. c) Therefore I do not realize that feminist discussion is unwelcome/unsupported on LBO?

I am afraid I don't get this either. The most I get at point (c) is that if (a) is true, then feminist discussion is uninteresting (to initiate) for LBO members. And I think, given the nature of LBO, even that conclusion requires further justification.

I am afraid I disagree that this sort of thing is a justifiable source of irritation. The #1 issue for me is animal rights (and I use the word 'rights' loosely here, since I do not quite understand what 'rights' means). How often does that come up, do you think? I don't think I can get irritated about that. WTF, I would actually be glad if people not mention it ;-), because most of the time the mention is in order to ridicule it.

If Marta was irritated, pissed, or even if she chose to write "If only you pro-immigrant bleeding hearts had the same attitude towards disabled people", then yes, its understandable. Instead she wrote the stuff that Doug and Yoshie have summarized, along with quotes from organisations like FAIR (not Fairness and Accuracy In Reporting).

Marta's frustration and anger stemming from the pathetic level of services and treatment for/of disabled people is understandable. Most of the responses to her have been to either ask her to explain how she reaches her conclusions and opinions about immigrants and/or counter-arguments that show why her opinions are not justified.

--ravi