[lbo-talk] Dean Baker on immigration

info at pulpculture.org info at pulpculture.org
Thu Apr 20 13:36:46 PDT 2006

At 04:06 PM 4/20/2006, jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net wrote:

>So it's OK with you if I lash out against gays because this list seldom,
>if ever, tackles Native American
>issues? I hope not.

I stopped reading there John. It was patently evident that I disagreed with marta and not you or anyone else who argued with Marta. Try again with some semblance of an attempt to afford others the dignity you expect of your arguments. If you can't, do be a pal and let me know you can't be bothered.

nearly everyone on this list ignores the issues marta raises -- repeatedly. I've largely left this list because of precisely the kind of stuff we raised on this list for years -- and Marta has raised. And, of course, every single one of the men on this list, unless theyhave some reason (like being gay), ignore women's issues -- except for maybe Doug and B who actually forward items and initiate discussions that have to do with feminist issues.

Instead of attacking her _without_ acknowledging what she said, you address it, respond to it. She's asking for recognition IN THIS THREAD and not one single person said, "YOu know, you're right the left does a shitty job of including the issue in conferences, publication, or even making sure services are available for disabled folks"

Is it that hard to have said that to her? Instead of just attacking her ONLY?

I'm talking basic communication decency.

One thing that becomes starkly apparent, from not being on this list, is how much harder women trying to understand one another and implement practices to get a sense of what's going on. Truly difficult, emotional painful work at times to get outside of your own bubble. But they are doing it. You are pretty good at it John, but people on this list simply snipped out the parts of marta's text that were too troublesome to deal with. Symbolically, they simply snipped _her_ and what she thinks is important right out.

We have more of a stake in the issues, as Marta said -- and disabled people have an even bigger stake. Her people are dying.

Couldn't you fucking read the pain and despair and sadness in her posts? And you want to respond to that with rage at her or even "Oh, so disappointing"

Instead of fucking recognizing the PAIN Marta feels. I'm freakin[' crying as I type this knowing of the hurting people out there.

Oh, here it comes: Carrol's lectures about how lefties shouldn't base their work on compassion or some horseshit.

Bitch | Lab http://blog.pulpculture.org