[lbo-talk] Dean Baker on immigration

jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Apr 20 17:17:21 PDT 2006

On 20 Apr 2006 at 16:36, info at pulpculture.org wrote:

> nearly everyone on this list ignores the issues marta raises -- repeatedly.
> I've largely left this list because of precisely the kind of stuff we
> raised on this list for years -- and Marta has raised. And, of course,
> every single one of the men on this list, unless theyhave some reason (like
> being gay), ignore women's issues -- except for maybe Doug and B who
> actually forward items and initiate discussions that have to do with
> feminist issues.
>
> Instead of attacking her _without_ acknowledging what she said, you address
> it, respond to it. She's asking for recognition IN THIS THREAD and not one
> single person said, "YOu know, you're right the left does a shitty job of
> including the issue in conferences, publication, or even making sure
> services are available for disabled folks"
>
> Is it that hard to have said that to her? Instead of just attacking her ONLY?
>
> I'm talking basic communication decency.
>
> One thing that becomes starkly apparent, from not being on this list, is
> how much harder women trying to understand one another and implement
> practices to get a sense of what's going on. Truly difficult, emotional
> painful work at times to get outside of your own bubble. But they are doing
> it. You are pretty good at it John, but people on this list simply snipped
> out the parts of marta's text that were too troublesome to deal with.
> Symbolically, they simply snipped _her_ and what she thinks is important
> right out.
>
> We have more of a stake in the issues, as Marta said -- and disabled people
> have an even bigger stake. Her people are dying.
>
> Couldn't you fucking read the pain and despair and sadness in her posts?
> And you want to respond to that with rage at her or even "Oh, so disappointing"
>
> Instead of fucking recognizing the PAIN Marta feels. I'm freakin[' crying
> as I type this knowing of the hurting people out there.
>
> Oh, here it comes: Carrol's lectures about how lefties shouldn't base their
> work on compassion or some horseshit.
>

> Bitch | Lab
> http://blog.pulpculture.org

If Marta had come out saying that she felt that disability issues were treated as issues of convenience rather than the life and death struggles that they just as frequently are NO ONE would have said one negative thing to her.

Instead she came out saying that Mexicans are taking benefits that she needs and she deserves more than they do. That is the crux of her argument. The 'merican disabled are more deserving than "the other". Then she blasted people with crap about how they don't know how hard it is to live on $800 a month. How can a person reasonably expect a sympathetic ear when they are scape-goating a group they perceive as both weaker and less deserving than they are? If sympathy is your first response when you hear that type of argument you're a better person than I. I don't mean that to sound snide. I wish I were up to that task. Perhaps if I were a stronger willed person and/or someone who carried less baggage concerning racial issues than I do I would be able to do that. It isn't that I don't know or care about Marta's pain. I really do. I hate seeing anyone eaten up by pain, fear and desperation. I've been there as have millions of other people. I've busted my ass helping people who were at the end of their rope and just needed some help. I have no tolerance for racism however and almost no inclination to feel someones pain when they try to play the race card and argue they are more deserving than some other. That is, in all honesty, just too much to expect of me. Having been on the receiving end of too much racial prejudice I just see red when that argument is trotted out.

I know Marta is basically correct that a large number, probably even the majority of self-described leftists, when they hear the phrase -disability issues- roll their eyes and think "Fuck, you already have the best parking space and a ramp. What the hell do you want next?" The immediately visible signs of progress for disabled persons are perceived as convenience issues that are not serious.

My SO's sister just had her medicaid benefits cut by $100 a month. If it weren't for the fact that the drug company that produces Remicade makes it available free to a handful of worst-case scenario patients (so they can study them) she would be unable to walk. Medicaid won't pay the >$1000 a month the treatment costs and her $650 a month disability check only covers the bare necessities. I nearly spend more time helping her than I spend with my own wife. I really am Marta's ally. As I said I train therapy pets, deliver M- O-W's and work with the elderly and disabled. I'm not ignorant concerning the issues she is frustrated about. Obviously I'm sympathetic to her cause or I wouldn't do what I do. But I have a big "fuck you" for anyone who argues they deserve medical care more than someone else based on their place of birth, gender, race, religion etc.

John Thornton