[lbo-talk] Chomsky interviewed by Ali G - wow

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Thu Apr 20 15:07:54 PDT 2006

Jordan Hayes wrote:
>> doesn't Noam C. know that Ali G. is a satire?

> Doesn't everyone who goes on The Colbert Report know that too? I saw
> Anthony Romero, executive director of the ACLU on the other night [
> http://tinyurl.com/rwnjt ], and he was passionately trying to make
> points against Colbert's silly imitation of O'Reilly almost as though he
> believed that Colbert was serious. When Romero brought up 'checks and
> balances' and Colbert said "The President has that all covered for now"
> Romero nearly jumped out of his seat to retort.

In his defense, Romero may just be such a busy guy that he never has time to watch TV. The Colbert Report has only been on cable since October.

On the other hand, this thread illustrates a fundamental problem with radical leftists and anarchists, that is our elitist, arrogant attitude about pop culture. We're supposed to be about organizing the average working people, yet many of us are too stuck up to turn on the TV and watch the Daily Show or Ali G. or Top Chef? What amuses me are friends who spend time watching crap like music videos and then give me hell for watching Bravo, the Style Channel or the Sci-Fi Network.

Chuck