[lbo-talk] Chomsky interviewed by Ali G - wow

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Thu Apr 20 15:16:18 PDT 2006

Doug Henwood wrote:

> When I last interviewed Chomsky, I quoted something Jon Stewart had said
> on The Daily Show. It was clear from his reaction that he had no idea
> what I was talking about. And only a few minutes earlier, he'd
> complained about "all the young people" who get their news mainly "from
> late-night TV."

If anybody is interested in some fresh takes on Chomsky from an anarchist point of view, I suggest checking out the new issue of Social Anarchism, which is completely dedicated to critical essays on Chomsky, ranging from his linguistics to his politics.

I'm hoping to do an interview with Chomsky in a few months. One thing we are going to ask him about is his tepid support for radical politics. Another pointed question--which more people should ask him--is why he fails to even mention local alternative media when he gives speeches. Chomsky always gets a full house for his talks, but he squanders these opportunities to mention local radical media projects.

Like an anarchist comrade pointed out to me last weekend in L.A.--if we are opposed to monopoly, monocultural corporate media, we should also be critical of the same trends in the alternative media and press. It gets really frustrating when my project struggles to raise a few thousand dollars and big alternative media like Common Dreams and Counterpunch raise $50,000 and more each pledge drive. And Infoshop is a big project when compared to the hundreds of media projects out there who languish because everybody sends their money to NPR, the Nation, and Moveon.org.

Chuck