[lbo-talk] Dean Baker on immigration

info at pulpculture.org info at pulpculture.org
Thu Apr 20 23:57:00 PDT 2006

At 12:24 PM 4/20/2006, Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

>So how exactly is this consciousness raising going to work?

why golly gee I jiss don't know how it works. Me and my silly ol' blonde self jiss 'magines these ideas up and seems so wunnerful an idea I can't resist sharin' wit y'all. Well I be fibbin' coz you know, I ashully larn a lotta 'boud it in my travels in the library and knowin' some real, live feminist womens.

Dem nice ladies showed me howta raise ma conshushness. Ma conshushness was mighty low fo' I met'emall. It were. And then you know ahppened. most incredulous thang: they believe in me and I read lots of books they tol' me 'bout. I ended up doing some work with dem other womens.

I donno but it seem like a good idear and these womens they wuz whip smart. Later, I found my li'l ol' sef smack dab in the middle of two entire research projects. Oh my. Dey wuz big and -- oh my gosh-a-golly -- they were takin' them consciousness raisin' idears seriously. ayuh.

Ima not sure if'n I am up thar in my brain power wit' deez men folk who run the proejcts. Dey wus awful smart. They were. They wuz sumpin called so-shul re-search-erz. They wuz. An' while doin' that I saw 'mazin' things, I jiss cain't describe how 'mazin.

But y'know I read dis guy wit' a funny name HAB-er-MAS. Ain't it a funny name? And he talk a big story 'bout feminists an' their consciousness raising. In fact, he wrote two whole entire books about it and these things he call new social movements. Kinda reminds me o' bowel movements but I knows he donna mean it that way. hee hee.

Den der be dis udder man, his name be Brian Fay. And dat man, oh my lawdy, he must be one o' da smartest men fellers I know'd. He write some awful fine books. In faq, he be so smart, he wroted one book 'bout sumthin' call So-shul Theeree an' Political Prackice. It were quite an idear that: so-shul theory? You know wut Fay sez? He sez so-shul theeree be related to political prackice.

In faq, it be related in a _logical_ way an' it ain't no accident Fay sez. Ain't no accident cuz sumpin' call the 'foundational assumptions' uv a so-shul theeree -- you heard o' dem? they be bound up with -- logically and, dis a big word, in-ex-tricably en-twined with -- the kind ov politics one be doin'. I be quite serious 'bout dat. If'n you believe in certain so-shul theeree, you en' up nach'ly supportin' a certain kinna political prackice cuzza da kinda knowledge you create wit' the kinna science you gots.

Ayup.

ain't it sumthin'?

I know I ain't too smart an' all so I 'spect you can read his book. But the reason why I jiss gotsta tell ya 'bout this is that he be one right smart feller. He not only write a book arguing that point, he listen to his critics and he write ANOTHER book in response.

In dat book? You know wot dat man did? he wrote a book that took into 'count wut his critics be sayin' 'bout 'im -- even if'n it waren't good. He listenna dem and he go on to develop an even better theory.

Oh, he be still advancin' dat conshushniss raisin', it just dat at dis point, after reflectin' on what axshully be accomplished by deez groups an' all, he decide that there wuz limits to CR -- i gotsta write it dat way cus it's easier but kinna makes it silly for me to 'splain why I takin short cut when I write all this, huh?

Oh, my mined. it gets so scattered. Where were I? Oh, Fay, he be da smartest man. My nipples get perky an' all an' dat be sayin' lots fo' me. He write some good stuff. A 'course dere's my friend, Frank Hearn, cuz he write 'bout deez issues too. An Frank. he the wun who turn me on to Fay an' Habermas and Friere and dat guy who study the Solidarity in Polan, Aliane Tourraine. Almozz couldna thinka hiz name.

But I think my brain be producin' smoke right now. It workin' hard to 'member how to type all these big words. I jiss ain't as smart as y'all. I'm just a silly li'l ol' thing, so I like ta jiss follow along with these other womens, they bein' so smart an' all. An' I jizz mouth words dey tell me -- cuz it sound smart an' all an' der ain't nuthin mo' an' I like than makin' sho I be tryin' always ta be smart in ma life. ayuh.

I'm sorry I can't splain it to ya mo' but I'm jiss not sure my po' li'l ol' brain could take the taxin'.

Bitch | Lab http://blog.pulpculture.org