[lbo-talk] it's ok to run a secret prison - just don't tell anyone!

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Apr 21 16:10:57 PDT 2006

CIA fires officer over alleged leak By David Morgan 1 hour, 13 minutes ago

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The CIA said on Friday that it fired an intelligence officer for leaking classified information that sources said contributed to a Washington Post report about secret CIA prisons in Eastern Europe.

The CIA said the dismissal of a CIA officer over a media leak was extremely rare and resulted from a three-month-old in-house investigation aimed at agency operations that had been the subject of recent media leaks.

Sources familiar with the case said the firing stemmed from the Washington Post's reporting about secret CIA prisons for terrorism suspects in November. The coverage sparked an international outcry over U.S. detainee policies and also won a Pulitzer Prize, America's leading journalism award.

The CIA would not say what the leak involved, and declined to identify the officer or describe the officer's duties at the agency, saying that such disclosures would violate the Privacy Act of 1974.

"This CIA officer acknowledged having unauthorized discussions with the media in which the officer knowingly shared classified intelligence, including operational information," CIA spokeswoman Michele Neff said.

Neff said the officer's actions violated a secrecy agreement that CIA employees sign when they begin working for the agency.

The Washington Post reported that the CIA operated a network of secret prisons for terrorism suspects in countries overseas, including Eastern Europe.

The report spawned a number of investigations in Europe that have yet to produce definitive evidence that the secret prisons existed.

It was not clear whether the dismissed CIA officer could face charges as part of a Justice Department investigation that a U.S. official said has been launched into the prisons leak. A Justice Department spokesman had no comment.

Meanwhile, the CIA said its own internal investigation into leaks was continuing. The probe began in January.

CIA Director Porter Goss made a strong case against media leaks before the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence in February.

"I'm sorry to tell you that the damage has been very severe to our capabilities to carry out our mission. I use the words 'very severe' intentionally. That is my belief. And I think that the evidence will show that," Goss said.

Sen. Pat Roberts (news, bio, voting record) of Kansas, Republican chairman of the Senate intelligence committee, called for prosecution in the case and said vigorous leak investigations should continue across the international community.

"Clearly, those guilty of improperly disclosing classified information should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law," he said in a statement.

(Additional reporting by Jim Vicini)