[lbo-talk] Fwd: [Nyc-ann] Monday! 4/24 Support TWU Local 100: Jail Solidarity Week

Jerry Monaco monacojerry at gmail.com
Sat Apr 22 07:36:39 PDT 2006

The right to strike in the U.S. is the right to go to jail. I thought I would forward this from the National Lawyer Guild list serve.

---------- Forwarded message ---------- From: nlgnyc at igc.org <nlgnyc at igc.org> Date: Apr 21, 2006 10:30 PM Subject: [Nyc-ann] Monday! 4/24 Support TWU Local 100: Jail Solidarity Week To: NYC-NLG ANN LIST <nyc-ann at nlgweb.org>

Forward Call to NLG

** Please Forward Widely **

Jail Solidarity Week – Stand with TWU Local 100

On April 10, 2006, TWU Local 100 President Roger Toussaint was sentenced to ten days in jail for the December 2005 NYC Transit Strike. But defending the rights of workers to retire in dignity is not a crime. Defending decency and respect on the job is not acrime. And taking a stand for what is right is not a crime. As President Toussaint stated at his sentencing, "we were engaged in civil disobedience". We had no other choice.

President Toussaint will begin his sentence on Monday, April 24, 2006. We will not be silent in the face of injustice. Join union workers, clergy, elected officials and supporters in a city-wide demonstration to defend union and worker rights and demand immediate reform of the Taylor Law.

Calendar of Events:

RALLY FOR JUSTICE -- MONDAY, APRIL 24, 2006, 4:00 PM Join City unions and Community Organizations in a rally to support TWU President Roger Toussaint at Manhattan Criminal Court 100 Center Street

------

DAILY VIGILS -- TUESDAY, APRIL 25, 2006 through FRIDAY, APRIL 28, 3006 3:00 PM TO 6:00 PM DAILY* On these days we are asking supporters to "Adopt a Day" and join a vigil at the Manhattan House of Detention (125 White Street, between Centre Street and Baxter Street, NYC)

MARCH IN SOLIDARITY – SATURDAY, APRIL 29, 2006, 10:30AM In conjunction with the UFPJ Anti-War Rally, join our contingent as we march past the Manhattan House of Detention, where President Toussaint will be held.

PRAYER SERVICE – SUNDAY, APRIL 30, 2006, 10:00 AM Join NYC's religious community in prayer.

--Can't make it? There is another way you can help. Please forward a donation to the TWU Strike Fund at 80 West End Avenue, 6th Floor, NY, NY 10023.

*For more information, or to confirm your attendance, please contact TWU Local 100 Organizing Department at (212) 873-6000, extensions 2017 or 2172.

Check us out on the web at: www.twulocal100.org

TWU Local 100 – We Move New York!