[lbo-talk] Nepal: "Maoist" and "Unified Marxist-Leninist"

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Apr 26 11:35:21 PDT 2006

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> Really, I don't understand folks getting stuck on the question of mere
> names in countries like Nepal. The main parliamentary Communist Party
> there is called CPN-UML, UML being "Unified Marxist-Leninist." What's
> in that name? Why should anyone care? :-|

It almost seems as though (at least in the U.S.) both those who wave the label "Maoism" as their 'own' (i.e. Chairman Bob) _and_ those who use it as the name of all that is evil (e.g. Dennis) are mirror images of each other. They both see labels as magical, but one ascribes a plus to the magic, the other a minus.

Carrol