[lbo-talk] progressive media cratering - Drudge

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Wed Apr 26 15:01:08 PDT 2006

Doug Henwood wrote:
> [Bookscan captures about 2/3-3/4 of all book sales, so the figures are
> probably a little better. But people who read blogs are generally
> post-book, no? And if AA has an average quarter hour of 27,900, it's
> still doing almost four times better than WBAI!]
>
> <http://www.drudgereport.com/flash1aa.htm>
>
> 'PROGRESSIVE' MEDIA STALLS: 'AIR AMERICA' IN AUDIENCE PLUNGE NYC, 'DAILY
> KOS' BOOK SELLS ONLY 3,600 COPIES
> Wed Apr 26 2006 11:39:51 ET

> During PM drive, host Randi Rhodes plunged to 27,900 listeners every
> quarter hour, finishing 25th place in her time slot, down from 60,900
> listeners every quarter hour in the fall.
>
> A network source says the radio ratings released today do not reflect
> the overall growth of the broadcast.
>
> "The demos are better, and listeners trust AIR AMERICA to give them the
> real truth on issues and the Bush presidency," says the insider.
>
> Developing...

In other words, Air America is still on the air, but people are getting tired of it. I know I stopped listening to it a year ago because I found it to be boring. I think this decline, if true, represents the fact that right wing talk radio succeeds because it caters to a small audience of zealots who need to be told what to think.

Air America's target audience has many options such as NPR and local indie stations. I'm not surprised that AA is struggling. If you know that the Bush adminstration is toast and the Democrats suck ass, then why would you waste your time on Air America?

I think Drudge and Co. should really be worried about the future of right wing media. The collapse of the Bush adminstration and the neocons has probably woken up a few of their zealots. Their target audience is also dying off and getting more gray. Does anybody know of a person younger than 35 who listens to right wing radio?

Chuck -------------------------- Bread and Roses Web Design serving small businesses, non-profits, artists and activists http://www.breadandrosesweb.com/