[lbo-talk] Some chem data (sorry)

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 27 09:29:45 PDT 2006

Chuck G:

Well, folks, that was bright. Hope everybody sharpened their pencils and got to work.

================

No worries.

That post had the pleasant effect of putting me off work and straight on working out the math (the sort of thing I used to do at U. Penn with members of an unofficial Latino frat...we'd work out the yields of atomic weapons, debate competing AI theories, visit strip clubs, play cards in Atlantic City and pick up club hotties - all in a single Saturday night...yes, a better world WAS possible).

In any event, speaking of atomic weapons theory and yield calculation, I turn your attention to this thunderbolt of the gods:

CHARACTERISTICS OF NUCLEAR EXPLOSIONS

<snip>

1.03 It is because of these fundamental differences between a nuclear and a conventional explosion, including the tremendously greater power of the former, that the effects of nuclear weapons require special consideration. In this connection, a knowledge and understanding of the mechanical and the various radiation phenomena associated with a nuclear explosion are of vital importance.

1.04 The purpose of this book is to describe the different forms in which the energy of a nuclear explosion are released, to explain how they are propagated, and to show how they may affect people (and other living organisms) and materials. Where numerical values are given for specific observed effects, it should be kept in mind that there are inevitable uncertainties associated with the data, for at least two reasons. In the first place, there are inherent difficulties in making exact measurements of weapons effects. The results are often dependent on circumstances which are difficult, if not impossible, to control, even in a test and certainly cannot be predicted in the event of an attack. Furthermore, two weapons producing the same amount of explosive energy may have different quantitative effects because of differences in composition and design.

[...]

full --

<http://www.cddc.vt.edu/host/atomic/nukeffct/enw77a.html>

.d.