[lbo-talk] Nepal & Maoists

parthasarathy kalalesrinivasaranga kalalepsarathy at gmail.com
Thu Apr 27 10:17:41 PDT 2006

Let me add some information to help debate. The king and all the existing poltical parties failed to quell maoists for over a decade now. So the present settlement is no settlement at all. It is back to square one. The strength of Moists has increased in the process. Because even the agitation that went on was possible only because Mosists were in it.

The issue is constituiting a constituent assembly by electing members for thaat specific purpose. That assembly should draft a constituion . That would not have anything with moanrchy. In such an election for wrting the contituion Maoists would participate. On the basis of such a constituion fresh elections hsould be held. Then only Maoistsa could also be brought into mainstremae.

I would recollect that on the eve of indepoendance in India there was a parliament which was elected under British rule under unequal rules. This parliament constitued itself into constituent assmbly illegally. That suited the then ruling class. Many of the problems of inequity and inequality in Indian democracy could be traced to this hastly drawn constituion by usurpers. That is wahy that constituion is ammended over hundred times and the task is still not complete.

-- kalalepsarathy -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20060427/d53c35af/attachment.htm>