[lbo-talk] it's inevitable

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 28 10:09:11 PDT 2006

In 1984 there were 21 fewer prisons in California and 169,000 fewer people in them. I thought this was a complicated story, but officials have broken it down. More people equals more crime.

<http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/front/la-me-prison22apr22,1,1461657.story?coll=la-headlines-frontpage>http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/front/la-me-prison22apr22,1,1461657.story?coll=la-headlines-frontpage

From the Los Angeles Times

>April 22, 2006
>
>SACRAMENTO ­ Already bulging with inmates wedged
>into gyms and hallways, California prisons must
>make room for 23,000 more felons over the next
>five years, according to new projections that
>are forcing managers to explore still more
>unusual options ­ even tents ­ to house bunks.
>
>The forecast, which outlines much steeper growth
>than numbers released just six months ago,
>predicts enough new convicts to fill five
>prisons. California would have more than 193,000 inmates by 2011.

[.....]

>Though a recent report showed a decline in
>California's recidivism rate, officials said the
>state's overall population expansion inevitably
>means more people breaking the law.

[....]