[lbo-talk] "Save Darfur": Evangelicals and Official "Jewish Leaders"

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Fri Apr 28 10:40:12 PDT 2006

On 4/28/06, Steven L. Robinson <srobin21 at comcast.net> wrote:

> No more astonishing than the drumbeat for war against Iran - at least that
> theatre of operations has geographical proximity to the two currently
> existing wars. Notwithstanding the Evangelical missionaries, the Darfur
> rally has the earmarks of "humanitarian interventions" we saw so much of in
> the 1990s. While the U.S. might not do much about Darfur now, it is
> reasonable to assume that it would become a more significant priority in the
> event the Dems take the White House in 2008.
> I note from today's Democracy Now! program (www.democracynow.org) that the
> people of Darfur seem to be in dire need of food aid, apparently donations
> have fallen way short of the need. Query- why talk about military
> intervention when people are at risk of starving? Funny, how Americans, both
> liberal AND Conservative, always seem to believe military force is the
> solution to a crisis. SR

Some say America is addicted to oil, but America is even more addicted to war (or else sanctions). "Leaders" of almost all groups in America -- Republicans or Democrats, Christians or Jews or Muslims (many of whom rooted for war on Yugoslavia in the Clinton era and war on Afghanistan in the Carter-Reagan era), whatever -- come up with their pet wars to promote, sooner or later.

I'm editing a beast of an article for the zine right now, so I had better get back to work, but I got so exercised by this that I posted the same thing on my blog: <http://montages.blogspot.com/2006/04/save-darfur-evangelicals-and.html>.

Really, the LAST THING we need in America is ONE MORE WAR to get involved in -- in an oil state at that.

And then Americans DARE to complain of higher oil prices! !! !!!

-- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>