[lbo-talk] Re: "Save Darfur" etc (and other responses)

ravi gadfly at exitleft.org
Sat Apr 29 11:24:13 PDT 2006

At around 29/4/06 2:03 pm, Joseph Wanzala wrote:
> I would also note how the crisis in the Sudan is being framed as a
> crisis in 'Darfur' (read Kosovo) as if to delink Darfur from the rest
> of war ravaged Sudan. It is not a matter of stopping 'genocide' or
> not because if that was the case we would be talking about other
> regions of Africa as well. Why the focus on Darfur - why not say,
> okay some people are working on Darfur, how about the Save Northern
> Uganda or Eastern Gongo movement? Why not start an anti-Uganda
> divestment campaign?

Sure why not. Many liberals support some sort of action in most of these cases.

I must add a note: I do realize the perils of U.S intervention, especially military. Perhaps U.S funding of an international force may be a better idea. Or something else. What I think is not an option is that we let these problems take a back seat, as Doug seems to be suggesting.

You radical leftists in the West like to think of the U.S as the root of all evil, or of liberals as "do-gooders", and so on. Do you also realize that the rest of the world is a fucked up place with its share of brutal thugs? If polls in Iraq can be believed at all, until recently, a majority of *Iraqis* wanted continued U.S presence (IIRC), exactly to handle the situation we (the U.S) had created.

--ravi

-- Support something better than yourself: ;-) PeTA: http://www.peta.org/ GreenPeace: http://www.greenpeace.org/