[lbo-talk] another brick in that neolib wall

Mike Ballard swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au
Sat Apr 29 19:55:12 PDT 2006

joanna wrote:

>In one of the best episodes of the 1st season(?), Tony's shrink, a
>woman, is raped. She is able to identify the rapist, but the police
>mishandle the evidence and the man walks free.
>
>At the next session with Tony, she bursts into tears, and we are
>made to understand that she wishes, more than anything else in the
>world, to tell Tony what happened so that he could "squish him like
>a bug." Which, in fact, we all know he would gladly do.
>
>But, she doesn't tell him. Why? She doesn't say, but a couple of
>reasons are possible: 1) it would break the psychoanalytic contract
>according to which the doctor takes care of the patient, not vice
>versa. 2) it would not undo the rape, just add another act of
>violence.

Doug responded:

And one of the great things about that story line is that we (ok, I, but I bet I'm not alone) wish she would tell Tony and that Tony would squish the bug in a very satisfying fashion. Then you realize what you're rooting for and feel funny.

In Mike B's review of "The Godfather" (1972):

...That's what's so good about "The Godfather". It's REAL, baby! Don Vito Corleone is right to recognize that the potential violence embodied in HIM, the patriarch of the ruling family and his/its gang of servant/employees gives him the power to dispense justice. Kiss his hand. Lick it. He is Papa, you guinea. Justice–what an abstraction, all filled with nicety-nice images of doing good unto others as you would have them do unto you. Pure crapola! You beat the crap out of your enemies and underlings and show them who's boss! That's the reality of everyday life within the political-economy of capitalism : political power comes out of the barrel of a gun baby and it hurts!

Michael: So the next day, my father went to see him; only this time with Luca Brasi. And within an hour, he signed a release, for a certified check for $1000. Kay: How'd he do that? Michael: My father made him an offer he couldn't refuse. Kay: What was that? Luca Brasi held a gun to his head and my father assured him that either his brains, or his signature, would be on the contract. That's a true story. That's my family, Kay, it's not me.

It's only the women-units, like Kay Adams who are confused and who need to be reminded, every once in a while. Kay ventures to open her mouth about politics and her naive liberalism is met with a quick back fist of REALITY by Michael Corleone, (who art her husband and budding patriarch in his own right, amen).

MC: My father is no different than any other powerful man -- any man who's responsible for other people, like a senator or president. KAY: You know how naive you sound...senators and presidents don't have men killed. MC: Oh, who's being naive, Kay?

full: http://imdb.com/title/tt0068646/usercomments-1189

Regards, Mike B)

Read "Penguins in Bondage": http://happystiletto.blogspot.com/