[lbo-talk] 300, 000 demonstrators, stretching for 10 blocks, in NYC

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Sun Apr 30 00:15:59 PDT 2006

On 4/29/06, Chuck <chuck at mutualaid.org> wrote:
> Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
> > "The demonstrators stretched for about 10 city blocks as they headed
> > down Broadway. A police spokesman declined to give an estimate of the
> > size of the crowd, although organizers claimed there were 300,000
> > people. There were no arrests," says Associated Press (at
> > <http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/04/29/war.protest.ap/index.html?section=cnn_latest>).
> >
> > Phew, it wasn't as small as I feared it might be! But I bet the
> > media will give bigger space to the infernal pro-war rally in DC on
> > the 30th.
>
> While it's good that people turned out for this event, it's physically
> impossible to fit 300,000 people into 10 city blocks.

You're right, Chuck. I was just so happy to see photos of a decent turnout -- reading a desperate plea from a UFPJ outreach coordinator that ravi posted here made me fear that the crowed might be just a couple of tens of thousands -- that I got carried away when composing the subject line. I didn't hear any news of this on TV, though. Was this covered anywhere?

-- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>