[lbo-talk] Is this legal?

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 30 20:51:42 PDT 2006

What Jerry says is right -- you need to talk to a lawyer licensed in your state who has a labor and employment practice or background.

All that said, it is general rule (which may not apply in this instance), that without an employment contract specifying termination only for cause -- the usual way to get this is through a union, but it is not the only way -- the boss can fire an employee for any reason or none, as long as that reason is not specifically forbidden by law (such as racial discrimination). This is called employment at will.

At the same time there wage and hour laws limiting the amount of time an employee can be made to work -- these laws apply to many employees under the federal FLSA and many state laws, but there area lot of exceptions. Moreover, as a general rule, which may not apply here, you can't contract around the law -- they can't, for example, make you waive your right to non-racially discriminatory employment practices, least of all as a condition of continued employment or being hired.

If there is a union involved, whether the workers are actually represented or not, there are lots of further issues. Is there a collective bargaining agreement in place? What does it say? What you say suggests there is no union actually representing the workers, but some unions might be supine enough to let this happen.

Are any of the workers engaged in any kind of concerted action regarding the terms or condition of their employment? As Jerry said, the law may offer certain protection to even non-unionized workers who do this, but how much protection is questionable.

All of these arew issues to raise with a locally licensed labor and employment lawyer to whom you tell the full facts of the case.

jks, esq. None of the above constitutes legal advice.