[lbo-talk] it's inevitable

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 30 20:59:51 PDT 2006

I'm for decriminalization myself, but note that alcohol does cause a lot of criminal behavior, and probably so might somew other drugs if legalized. Speed, for example. Coke, especially crack. Probably not pot or, if kept affordable, opiates.

However, apart from libertarian, anti-paternalistic considerations of letting people go to hell their own way, we've tried prohibition, and it doesn't work. We tried it with alcohol and got Capone and the Mafia -- biggest boon they ever had. We are trying it with coke, opiates, pot, etc., and we get large scale organized crime plus lots of street crime plus, an increase in the prison population that is nearly an order of magnitude in the last 25 years?