[lbo-talk] it's inevitable

jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Apr 30 21:26:09 PDT 2006

On 30 Apr 2006 at 20:59, andie nachgeborenen wrote:

> I'm for decriminalization myself, but note that
> alcohol does cause a lot of criminal behavior, and
> probably so might somew other drugs if legalized.
> Speed, for example. Coke, especially crack. Probably
> not pot or, if kept affordable, opiates.

This is a rather odd list. Why would you think crack legalization might cause more crime problems than smack? I can't see any reason. Since crack is nowhere as physically addictive it would seem less likely to lead to crime problems to support its purchase.

My biggest fear concerning legalization would be that meth would become practically a requirement for many jobs. So many people at the nearby poultry plants use the stuff just to keep alert enough to have a life outside of Georges. If legalized the move in that direction would be strong. I know that long-term the use of the drug is detrimental to job performance but since so many of the employees are there short-term it's use helps production.

John Thornton