[lbo-talk] on death

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 3 07:42:50 PDT 2006

John Adams:

That's always been my impression, too, and yet one sees a lot of socially engaged Buddhists, yet not so many Stoics. Is that just because there are a lot more Buddhists than Stoics, or is it in the ideas themselves?

I think this is because Mahayana Buddhism, more so than other forms, stresses compassion.

See <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahayana>

Indeed, the Pali canon tells us that Siddartha, having achieved understanding of samsara and discarding illusion, rested in equipoise within a state of enlightenment for a time, only setting out on a teaching mission to share his insights because of supreme compassion for the sufferings of all sentient beings.

Stoicism, as I understand it, has no analog to this.

.d.

The most important isotope of plutonium is 239Pu, with a half-life of 24,110 years.

...................... http://monroelab.net/blog/