[lbo-talk] Night Watch

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Thu Aug 3 20:06:20 PDT 2006

Dennis Redmond wrote:

>Astounding. Apparently, it was all done on a budget of $4 million, with
>the help of rotating teams of Russian programmers, who pitched in to do
>the CGI. Can't wait to see the sequel...

Thanks for the review. I will check it out.

I grew up on Soviet/Russian movies, and they were great.

In fact, let me go on a little rant here because I truly think that USSR/Russia has made enormous contributions to art: Tolstoy and Chekhov have not yet been matched. Filmmaking owes most of its art to Eisenstein. In dance they are, again, the masters, with the Ballets Russes basically defining the most radical and nuanced trends in twentieth century art. They are born poets....whether they apply it to filmmaking, dance, literature, computer games, etc...

I was somewhat irritated with their lick the western arse filmmaking of the eighties, but I have forgiven them.

End of rant.

Joanna